Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I really, really heart San Francisco

So, today was a wonderful day.

1. I got to talk to someone for longer than the 30 second - 2 minute transaction you have with someone in a store when making a purchase.

This morning I met my friend and fellow Aussie residing (I've decided if it is longer than a month, you are a resident) in San Francisco, Ben. We met at a cute little place in the Castro called Jumpin' Java which has done some awesome stuff with their ample footpath space and some planters, making it a little outdoor green room sort of thing. Anyway, it was great to see Ben again after so long. We both have a serious enthusiasm for San Francisco. Fingers crossed that we both get plucked out of the Diversity Lottery Barrel this year.

Ben lives in an apartment that:
a) you have to walk up the 3rd steepest hill in San Francisco to get to (well, from the angle we were coming from) and as a result,
b) has the most awesome view from his balcony


2. Someone mistook me for a San Franciscan and asked me directions... And, I was able to answer them!

I was hanging out on the corner 18th & Guerrero (it is probably the only part of the city I know like the back of my hand so far, Tartine and Bi-Rite are there, they feed me, so we're familiar) and a lady with a dog said to me "Is there a grocery store around here, one that has really nice stuff?". I was so happy I didn't have play the dumb tourist and pointed her in the right direction (or should I say Bi-rite direction).

3. TARTINE BREAD

OK, so I think that most of you that will read this have heard me crap on about Tartine. Tartine is a bakery that I conveniently live around the corner from. It's owned by husband and wife team, Chad Robertson and Elisabeth Prueitt. He's a baker, she a pastry chef. They met at the Culinary Institute of America and have since travelled far and wide in order to learn everything they possible can about their craft. If you want to learn more about them, go here:


I tried to get a loaf of the famous bread (of which they turn out only 175 loaves per day) on my first evening here, but I missed out. The bread starts coming out of the oven at 5pm each and every day, and if you aren't there then, you're probably going to walk away disappointed.

Today, I was prepared. I was not leaving without a loaf. I started hovering around the front of the store at around 4:55pm. Luckily, there were only about 10 people ahead of me, so unless one of them intended to buy 170 loaves, I was golden.

Today there were offering a plain or a walnut sourdough loaf. I thought it best to go with the basic for my first turn, so I got the plain. At about 5:05pm, in exchange for $7.00, the loaf was handed over to me in a brown paper bag and it was still so hot that I couldn't actually hold it. I was excited. I walked home as quickly as I could so I could have my first taste.


I didn't think this bread could possibly live up to my expectations, but it has. It is so freakin' good. The crust of the bread is really crispy, but not too hard. Some breads I've had back home taste great, but they have such a hard crust that I wince with every bite as I'm doing some serious damage to my gums. None of that here. The 'crumb' (I feel like a wanker using that word, but it is technically what the middle bit of the bread is called) is soft and a little chewy and the flavour doesn't hit you at first, but when it does it is just a little sour.

Oh happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment